A LUAS Dublin tram on the Green Line which runs to Stephens Green from Sandyford in Dublin city. The light rail transit system which opened on June 30th 2004 marked the return of trams to Dublin's streets after an absence of 60 years.
Luas tram at old Harcourt Street railway station building.
The old Harcourt street railway station building dating from 1859 is now a restaurant. In 1959 it was auctioned for £67,500 after being closed as a train station in 1958. The current LUAS trams follow a similar route to the old railway line, extending to the Churchtown, Dartry & Sandyford suburbs of South Dublin.
The city's last electric tram service to Howth was closed in 1944. The trams had been a part of Dublin city since the introduction in 1896 of a horse-drawn tram service by the Dublin United Tramways Company.
Old Dublin Howth tram.
Photograph by Brendan Doyle.
Harcourt Street station sold in 1959.
Dalkey electric tram, inauguration 1896.
Dublin United Tramways 19th century tram routes & old Dublin trams slideshow images.
19th century Irish town & countryside antique prints.Photos of County Carlow in Leinster, includes Cathedral, Brownshill Dolmen & Carlow town images.
Images of famous Dublin buildings & historic monuments, includes location & history details.View Ireland photo gallery full contents & category listings at - Irelandposters site map.
Irish posters & Pictures of Ireland - main contents.
Vintage Irish railway travel posters.